The School accepts admissions for Playgroup, Kindergarten, Lower- and Upper-School all year round, allowing pupils to start at any point in the academic session.
No Academic Entrance Exam
In contrast to Edinburgh’s other independent schools, our admissions procedure means we welcome pupils of all academic abilities and value them for what they bring to the school community.
- We advise prospective parents to attend an Open Tour of the school before application. You can enquire and book a tour here. By filling in this form, you will receive a prospectus and the application form.
- Parents may request an informal talk with the Class Teacher prior to applying formally.
- The Application Form must be accompanied by the application fee (currently £60) and by reports from the child’s current school where appropriate.
- Applications will be acknowledged by the Admissions Officer within five working days during term time and an interview date will be offered.
- Admission is by interview by the Kindergarten Teachers, a Lower School Class Teacher or an Upper School Class Guardian depending on the age of the child. A second teacher will attend all interviews.
- The interview with the Teacher/Guardian is followed by a financial interview with the School Bursar. Where a child has previously attended another independent school, the Bursar will request, in writing, a financial reference from the institution.
- Parents may request after interview that their child has a 2 or 3 day trial in the class they are applying to. This may be granted at the Teacher’s discretion and is not available prior to a formal application.
- Applications will be presented to the College of Teachers, who meet every Thursday evening during term time. A recommendation to College will be made by the interviewing teachers and a decision is normally made on the same evening. On some occasions, a decision will be held over until the following week.
- When a child is accepted, a letter of offer will be sent out by the Bursar within 5 working days of the College’s decision.
- Acceptance of the place must be made by completing the enrolment form which accompanies the letter. The enrolment form is a legal document which binds the parents to the terms therein.