Edinburgh Steiner Food Bank Collection
21 - 30 September 2021
The Edinburgh Steiner School community has donated 565kg of food since it started donating at Michaelmas five years ago. And this year we are collecting again.
All contributions will go to local Edinburgh Food Project (formerly Edinburgh North West Foodbank) and we would be very grateful if our community of parents could send in an item of food or toiletries with your child on or before Wednesday 29th September (Michaelmas). Boxes for each Class are in the pupils classrooms.
Class 9 pupils have this year created a suggested theme of ingredients for each Class from Edinburgh Food Project’s much needed list of items. This makes a significant difference to local vulnerable people in crisis. It is entirely voluntary and there is no expectation you must do this. Parents and pupils will be informed of the theme for each Class for 2021 soon; and will appear below.
Thank you to all those families who contribute.
- Seedlings & Kindergarten – cartons of alternative UHT milk (e.g. oat milk – no nut milks)
- Class 1 & 2 – tins of fruit
- Class 3 – fruit juice (long life)
- Class 4 & 5 jars of pasta sauce
- Class 6 – tins / cartons of pulses (e.g. chickpeas, lentils)
- Class 7 – jars of jam / spread
- Class 8 – cartons of UHT milk
- Class 9 – rice
- Class 10 – shampoo
- Class 11 – tins of veg (peas, carrots)
- Class 12 – jars instant coffee
- ESS staff & wider Steiner community – cleaning products
Scholar’s 5th Year As Food Bank Volunteer
Retired former pupil, Bill Irving, aged 75, continues to give his time to Edinburgh Food Project for as long as his former School has been donating. Bill attended the school – then known as Rudolf Steiner School of Edinburgh – from the age of 4 in Kindergarten all the way through, graduating in 1963.
“I need to be doing things in retirement,” Bill said, as he loads the boxes and boxes of donated items into the back of his van from the School gate, to later be made up into food parcels for vulnerable people in crisis.