Seeking New Trustees
Edinburgh Steiner School (ESS) is seeking interest from members of the community to apply for positions on the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees is responsible for the financial and legal welfare of the school, and for broad operational strategy. The Board is also ultimately responsible for ensuring that the School is fulfilling its objectives as stated in the Articles of Memorandum.
The Board works closely with the College of Teachers and close communication is an important factor in the Board’s ability to perform its duties.
Each trustee brings their own unique blend of skills and experience to the Board. Broadly, Trustees should:
- Have an appreciation of the Steiner Waldorf approach
- Be active advocates of the School and its objectives.
- Have complete integrity and utmost discretion.
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Be willing to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a trustee.
- Be a strategic and creative thinker.
- Be willing to express their point of view, but be able to accept majority decisions.
- Work effectively as a member of a team.
Trustees come from varied backgrounds but will often have skills in financial management and planning, leadership, business management, marketing, public relations, legal matters, fundraising, or educational governance.
The Board meets at the School on the second Tuesday of each month during term time for a two to three hour meeting. Preparation for the meeting can take up to two hours and there may be additional tasks of up to two hours outside regular meetings. Occasionally Trustees take on responsibilities for more involved projects in collaboration with other members of School staff and, possibly, external advisors. The time required for these additional projects varies.
Find out more
If you are interested in finding out more please contact Kevin White, the Chair of Trustees, at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07791 895 472.
To apply please send a cover letter explaining your interest in becoming a trustee to email@example.com or to Trustees, Edinburgh Steiner School, 60 – 64 Spylaw Road, Edinburgh, EH10 5BR.